Downer wins at AAPA Awards
Our Road Services team has been recognised by the industry with multiple AAPA Awards.
The Australian Asphalt Pavement Association (AAPA) National Awards were distributed at the AAPA 2017 Gala and National Industry Awards held last week.
The evening was attended by close to 600 people and started with Downer being awarded the prestigious National Outstanding Project Award for Western Australian Kingsford Smith Avenue reconstruction.
"Innovation in execution through outside the box thinking, and utilising Downer's full depth and capability for this job ensured our customer and the travelling public experienced stress-free, value for money delivery," said Dante Cremasco, Executive General Manager, from Downer's Road Services team.
"Top marks to the WA team and the leadership of John Benge", added Dante.
In the end our AAPA grand total came to nine awards for 2017, with seven state awards and two national awards, as follows:
- The Kingsford Smith Avenue reconstruction project at Perth Airport (WA) was recognised with the 2017 National Outstanding Project Award for demonstrating excellence and outstanding quality on the delivery of a flexible pavement project in Australia. The award was accepted by John Benge, State Manager – WA.
- Mission Possible – ‘Safe position is my mission’, was recognised with a Highly Commended for the 2017 National Safety Award for the most notable safety improvement initiative in the flexible pavement industry. The award was accepted by Alison Kutek, Project Manager for Mission Possible and Business Development Coordinator for Road Services.
- Emerging Leader Award – Jeremy Hochman, Senior Project Engineer – Airports and Specialised Pavements
- Innovation Award – Cold mix product; eliminating diesel from cold mix asphalt
New South Wales
- Road Worker of the Year Award – Raymond Darmanin, Senior Paving Supervisor
- Outstanding Project Award – Sydney Airport Corporation Limited (SACL) Taxiway Tango
- Industry Leadership Award – Gana Varendran, General Manager – NSW/ACT
- Outstanding Project Award – Kingsford Smith Avenue reconstruction
- Outstanding Project Award – Construction of rural roundabout Noarlunga to Victor Harbor Road, Hindmarsh Valley
Well done team!
Pictured (left to right): Dante Cremasco, Alison Kutek, John Benge, at the AAPA 2017 Gala and National Industry Awards.