Defence Headquarters Joint Operations Command (HQJOC) at the General John Baker Complex
Since 2009, Downer has provided integrated facilities management services, including base security services, to the HQJOC General John Baker Complex in Bungendore, NSW. The facility houses the consolidated operational headquarters for the Australian Army, Navy, and Airforce, comprising some 234 hectares and three main buildings with 850 defence personnel.
Over the last decade, security services at HQJOC have leveraged many aspects of Downer’s broader capability, encompassing a model comprising multiple layers of security, including:
- Guarding Services – proactive physical guarding for deterrence, incident response, controlling access points and surveillance.
- Technology Services – delivery and management of innovative security technology solutions that collects and fully analyses data and threat information to predictively enhance security.
- Data Services – collection and analysis of data from physical guarding and technology to identify threats, anomalies, and trends in both real time and from recorded data.
- Security Operations Centre – centralised oversight for management of all security services and rapid and coordinated response with advanced threat detection.
With the highest level of criticality afforded by the Department of Defence and the Commonwealth of Australia, Security Services that support the 24-hour facility are required at the highest and most demanding standard of any public sector.
Our operation is run in accordance with Defence requirements including Australian Standards and legislative documents, Defence policy and the operational Contract, which include:
- Australian Government Protective Security Framework (PSPF).
- Australian Standard AS4421 – Officers and Patrols.
- Defence Security Principles Framework DI(G) OPS 13-10 Conduct of security inspections under the Defence Security Alert System-Safe base.
- Defence Security Authority Security Threat Assessment.
- Community Protection (Terrorism) Act 2003.
- T4 Protective Security publications.
- The Australian Bomb Data Centre publication, Bombs – Defusing the Threat.
- Downer Defence DISP Security Practices and Procedures (SPPs).
- NSW Security Industry Code of Practice.
- Security of Defence Premises Bill 2011.
- Crimes Act 1914.
- Defence Act 1903.