Our business is founded on the deeply held value of Zero Harm.
As it applies to safety, we remain focused on ensuring that all of our people return home safely to their families at the end of their working day.
We firmly believe that any injury or disease is unacceptable and preventable. In everything we do, the health and safety of our people and communities is always our top priority.
Downer prides itself on having an established and mature safety culture. Achieving Zero Harm requires strong leadership and relentless commitment and accountability by all employees. We work to achieve this through:
- Setting clear leadership expectations, developing and involving our people, and acting with integrity
- Two-way engagement with our workforce focusing on a message of personal commitment, active caring, critical risk management, control effectiveness, and data analysis. Our people at all levels are actively involved and accountable
- Learning from our experiences, and investing in our workplace culture to the extent that all employees and contractors have enhanced commitment and capability
- Continuing to improve and simplify our management systems to support the way we work
- Continual focus on managing risks that have the potential to cause harm to our people or the community
- Aligning our values throughout our organisation.
We are minimising COVID-19 transmission risk while continuing to deliver safe, reliable and high-quality services to our customers. This includes many increased cleaning services for our customers’ sites, such as public transport and community spaces, to help keep the community safe.
Senior managers from across the Downer Group meet regularly to put in place appropriate control strategies, which also includes complying with all Government regulations and advice in relation to COVID-19.
We are also communicating regularly with our employees to keep them informed.
Control measures across our offices and sites include:
- Increased cleaning of site amenities and facilities, including availability of hand sanitiser on all sites
- Reducing face-to-face meetings, toolbox talks and pre-starts to as few employees as possible – and practising appropriate social distancing measures when these do take place
- Implementing plans for office staff to work remotely where possible and increasing social distancing measures in all offices
- Restricting visitors to our customer sites and locations to only necessary employees and contractors
- Implementing temperature testing procedures at sites
- Banning all non-essential business travel
- Applying all current Government mandated guidelines relating to travel and self-isolation
- Regular communication with employees reinforcing correct hygiene, self-isolation and social distancing practices.
We also have in place a number of strategies to minimise the impact of COVID-19 on our people and the communities in which we operate, including:
- Increased focus on mental health support and activities for our people
- Establishing a hardship program for affected workers
- Establishing a redeployment and retraining program for displaced workers
- Implementing initiatives to support vulnerable communities.
We are committed to working closely with our customers and partners to minimise the impact on our operations while keeping our people safe.